United Arab Emirates impressions - Fujairah


‘After my conversation with two Punjabi workers who coincidentally came from the same city as my parents I felt quite sad…they explained to me how they were housed in ‘tin cans’ rather then the mud brick housing which keeps cool in the hot climate. They told me that their work would never be recognised and as soon as they finish they will be kicked out of the area like they never existed. They described their current situation as desperate yet necessary all at the same time, they are there because they earn more then what they would back home, they have families to feed which they see every two years. It’s upsetting to see how these men work so hard but will be forgotten as soon as the work is completed…all that will be left is the brick and mortar which they worked so hard for.’

No comments: